Senior Data Engineer
We are looking for a passionate Senior Data Engineer with a strong background in computer science or distributed systems and data engineering experience to help our customers to operationalize machine learning models at scale.
This vacancy requires that you live in the Netherlands, since all of our clients are located there. In case you don't speak Dutch it is important that you have a willingness to study the language and to become proficient.
BigData Republic is a leading data consultancy firm, specialized in data science, data engineering and machine learning technology. As a boutique consultancy, we are different from the large consultancy firms out there, which ensures our quality over quantity approach. Our goal is to be a thought leader in the field. For our clients, we focus on creating business value with innovative data solutions that have sustainable impact.
The beating heart of our organization is our team of about 25 experienced data scientists and data engineers. Our culture is centered around collaboration and growth, and we are motivated by helping others. We love to share our knowledge but we also like to be challenged by each other.
Our client portfolio consists of challenging and well-known organizations, such as KLM, ING, NS, Dutch Police, VodafoneZiggo, KPN, Randstad and Yolt. From Monday until Thursday you will be working in the client team on site. Friday is our office day, where the whole team is together to catch up, share knowledge through guilds and knowledge sessions, and have fun.
What you do
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will partner with Data Scientists at our customers to research, design, and implement leading-edge data-driven software products.
You will be part of technology teams, taking care of the software engineering challenges associated with data science and machine learning. You will be serving and deploying models, putting research into production, and help building real-time monitoring solutions for machine learning models. Also, designing a data pipeline or building a scalable platform might be part of the job. We expect you to bring industry standards for software engineering practices both in terms of code and process and improve the quality of your team's outcome. You work closely with product managers to set reasonable expectations around deadlines. You are able to break up projects in digestible tasks for the other engineers you work with. You can identify the learning needs of the teams you work with and provide the right materials to improve on their skills.
You know your way around the latest and greatest practices and tooling to build data platforms and bring models to production. You understand the needs of our clients and are able to translate their goals into solutions.
The following qualities are our baseline for what we expect from you, but feel free to challenge us if your skills complement us in other ways!
- Masters degree in computer science, artificial intelligence, distributed systems or similar
- Hands-on data/software engineering experience. You are able to build applications and are familiar with best practices such as CI/CD, testing and coding standards
- Python and/or Scala have no secrets for you, especially in the context of data processing and data applications
- Knowledge of modern data technologies, tools, platforms and infrastructures, such as Spark, Kafka, Airflow and Kubernetes
- Experience with cloud platforms is a strong plus (Azure, AWS, Google Cloud)
- Hands-on machine learning experience is a bonus
- You have good soft skills and business affinity
- Our work usually requires a combination of Dutch and English proficiency. Your English should be good, both written and spoken. Moreover, there is a drive to become proficient in the Dutch language.
What do we offer?
A culture where you can be yourself and develop your technical and business skills. All of this is done in a friendly environment where you are valued for who you are. In addition to this you will get:
- Competitive salary in line with your experience and potential
- Contract for a year with the intention to extend this to a permanent contract
- Holiday pay and 13th month arrangement
- Plenty of opportunities for learning and development, such as following training and visiting conferences
- Great office Fridays, with breakfast, lunch and snacks
- An open and informal culture, with a shared love for tech. For example, we have developed our own facial recognition system for our foosball table where matches and scores are automatically registered
- Room to work on innovative hobby projects, such as deep learning on TPUs, experimenting with MLFlow, or exploring the newest features of cloud platforms.
Are you inspired by our story or want to know more? Get in touch with us, or even apply directly! Do not hesitate to contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Would you like to join our team?
Apply directly by filling out this form. Upload your CV and we'll get in touch as soon as possible.